A dairy replacement that has become increasingly popular in the present times, almond milk is one of the well-known varieties of vegan milk. From a latte to your morning breakfast, or a creamy smoothie, almond milk rules in a wide range of recipes.
But at times, we tend to have leftover almond milk or maybe an open carton and that is when we wonder if it is even possible to put almond milk in the freezer
So, can you freeze almond milk when the need arises?
Yes, almond milk can be frozen and it can be done so successfully for around 6 months. Yet, it’s not as simple as you may think. Almond milk can be stored without risk, but after it has defrosted, things can get complicated.
Almond milk tends to separate after freezing, which also alters the flavor. Defrosted almond milk must always be mixed before use. Nonetheless, you can still use it in baked or cooked foods.
Nonetheless, using thawed almond milk in recipes and baked goods shouldn’t be too challenging.
Please Note: Thawed Almond milk should never be added to cereal, coffee, or smoothies.
How can you freeze almond milk?
Almond milk can be safely frozen, however, most manufacturers advise against it. This happens because after being frozen, the separated almond milk thaws. Although liquids rise to the top, solids sink to the bottom. But that doesn’t imply you can’t freeze it.
You can implement the following ways to freeze almond milk.
Method 1 – Use Ice Cubes
This is one method of freezing almond milk because, if you enjoy a delicious, nutritious smoothie, you already know that adding ice makes everything taste much creamier! Plus, it’s really convenient because you can just take out just how many cubes you need for a recipe without having to defrost more than you require. As the cubes pop out easily and the liquid doesn’t splash all over my freezer before it has a chance to set, I prefer silicone ice trays with lids.
- Step 1: If there is a cover, put it on top of the almond milk once it has been poured into the ice cube tray.
- Step 2: Put the tray in the freezer and wait for it to solidify, say about two hours. An additional acceptable method is to store it in the freezer overnight.
- Step 3: Take the frozen cubes out of the ice cube tray once they have solidified and place them in a freezer bag. Don’t forget to put the date on the bag’s label. This is crucial to prevent using almond milk cubes that have expired.
Method 2 – Using Container for Freezing
In order to avoid using it all at once, it is advantageous to divide it into smaller containers or bags.
- Step 1: Fill a plastic container or resealable freezer bag with the almond milk, leaving at least a half-inch of headspace to accommodate expansion while freezing. Or, you may divide it up and freeze it in zip-top bags or a silicon tray.
- Step 2: Label the container or bag with the date and carefully close it.
- Step 3: Put the bag or container in the freezer. For up to three months, freeze.
Tips for freezing almond milk
Now that you are well adept at freezing almond milk, how about some additional amazing tips that you can incorporate?
1. Considering portion sizes is important
You should always think about the portion sizes you typically use before freezing anything; thereby freeze your almond milk in those portions. If you want to avoid refreezing almond milk, freezing it in the appropriate quantity is of utmost importance.
2. Should be blended after defrosting
When almond milk is frozen and then thawed, it splits. So, it’s advisable to pour it into a blender after it has defrosted and give it a good mix. This will aid in blending it once more.
3. Avoid drinking it neat
You won’t ever be able to fully fix the divided milk. Instead, avoid drinking it neat and complement it with another beverage, like a smoothie.
How can you defrost almond milk?
It is advisable to use defrosted almond milk within 3 days. Here are the following ways in which you can implement :
Keep it in the freezer overnight
Put the quantity of almond milk you need to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. It will gently thaw it and transform it into liquid. It can take more than one night for a particularly large container to defrost.
Dip it in warm water
You might choose to dip your almond milk in warm water to defrost it more rapidly. To do this, put the frozen almond milk container into a bigger bowl that is filled with warm water. Alternatively, if you’re using cubes, put them in a bag and dunk them in warm water in a bowl or run them under the tap until the milk is entirely defrosted.
Thaw it while cooking
This is not my preferred choice since if you defrost the almond milk in the middle of cooking, you won’t have the time to integrate it in, which could give your dish an odd consistency or flavor.
How to use defrosted almond milk?
- To give your smoothies an additional creamy texture, add these.
- Use them to create yogurt or ice cream with almond milk.
- Use them in recipes that call for almond milk after melting them.
- Add them to your coffee for a dairy-free latte.
- Make a delicious glass of almond milk with them, just like you would with fresh almond milk!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. Does frozen almond milk taste good?
Ans. Almond milk can retain it’s optimum quality for about six months. However, even when blended, thawed almond milk separates and has a bad taste. Yet you may still incorporate it into baked and cooked foods.
Q2. How healthy is almond milk?
Ans. Vitamin E, which is crucial for the health of your blood vessels and immune system, may be found in almond milk. High vitamin E intake has been linked in certain studies to a decreased risk of cognitive disorders including Alzheimer’s disease.
Q3. Can you use expired almond milk?
Ans. If the container hasn’t been opened, shelf-stable almond milk is still acceptable to consume for 4 to 6 weeks beyond the “sell by” or “best purchase” date.
Q4. How do I know if my almond milk is spoiled?
Ans. Even if you have just taken it out of the fridge, it has curdled in the carton or has completely separated.
It tastes extremely caustic or harsh, especially if the version you’re buying has extra sugar.
Q5. How long can almond milk last in the fridge?
Ans. In addition to being hyper-pasteurized, shelf-stable almond milk is packaged in sealed, sterile Tetra Pack cartons to enable it to be kept at room temperature when it is unopened. The milk should be used within 7 to 10 days of opening, according to the majority of brands, and the carton should be kept in the refrigerator once opened.